Welcome to Math in FocusTM: The Singapore Approach, the world-class math curriculum from Singapore adapted for U.S. classrooms based on updated math standards. Math in Focus addresses topics in greater depth at each grade.
This year, your first grader will focus on:
- building problem-solving skills and strategies
- counting, comparing, and writing numbers to 100
- adding and subtracting 1-digit and 2-digit numbers
- classifying and sorting shapes and patterns
- measuring length and weight
- using calendars, time and money
You can help your child build confidence as well as communication skills in mathematics by practicing newly acquired skills at home by taking advantage of opportunities to use math in everyday situations. Allow your child's math class-work or homework to guide you in determining the appropriate level of challenge.
On car or bus trips, challenge your child to:
- find the numbers 1 through 10 (or higher, as the year goes on) in order
- find the numbers 10 through 1 in reverse order
- count how many red cars she sees in five minutes
At home, invite your child to:
- help you count coins for rolling and taking to the bank
- reset clocks when the time changes in fall and spring
- mark dates of importance on a calendar
While shopping, allow your child to:
- compare prices on different brand items
- read food lables to compare servering per container
- estimate how many cartons of milk to buy
Contact your child's teacher if you have any questions about the program or your child's progress.